Information on the SME FDI Workshop
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
This event provided an opportunity for leading thinkers in the public, private and academic sectors to exchange views on the potential of the SME FDI to serve a wider range of research interests. Discussions was guided by two overriding questions:
- What data/research are needed to better understand the challenges Canadian SMEs face in accessing financing?
- What clear, actionable measures should the SME FDI take to ensure that those data/research opportunities are realized in a cost-effective manner?
The workshop was held at the Government Conference Centre in Ottawa on Wednesday September 20, 2006 to Friday September 22, 2006. Its objectives were as follows:
- promote and solicit partnership opportunities with the SME Financing Data Initiative beyond the core partners to other government departments, provincial governments, the private sector or international delegations;
- present "best practices" within Canada and internationally on data collection methods for researching SMEs' access to financing;
- identify information gaps (data gaps) and discuss opportunities to resolve issues related to SMEs' access to financing in Canada; and
- broaden the scope of topics for which the SME FDI can act as an information resource.
SME FDI Workshop Agenda